Friday, March 21, 2014

Artichokes: a simple tutorial

We have a beautiful artichoke plant in the garden that is producing abundantly right now. I know not everyone feels comfortable cooking and eating a whole artichoke, so I've included a very simple tutorial (with a link to a more detailed one). As much as I would like to eat all the artichokes myself, I want to make sure everyone gets to enjoy them!
Artichokes should be harvested when the bracts (leafy parts) start to separate, like in the photo above. The quick version of how to cook them is:
1) put about 2" of water in a pot
2) insert artichoke
3) bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 min (poke a fork into the base to check for softness)
Then to eat them:
1) pull bracts/leaves off one at a time, scraping meaty parts off with your teeth
2) dip in sauce (lemon/butter is my favorite, other people like mayonnaise) if desired
3) when you get to the base, scrape off the "thistley" parts, then enjoy the tasty heart 

That is all! If you want more guidance on the process, check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment